10 Creative Food Photography Ideas
Due to a lot of food-centric blogs and websites, food photography is very popular and there are a lot of creative ideas on how to photograph the food beyond the plate. Look at these 10 creative food photography ideas that can be created only with your imagination. Food photography is a form of product photography.
Food photography unlike all other forms of photography doesn’t require much equipment to create beautiful food images. Food product photography is widely used at various social platforms and there’s a marked surge in the trend of sharing food images on Instagram. It won’t be wrong to say that other than sceneries and selfies, Instagram is flooded with the images of the food.
Ten Ideas to photograph your food in a creative way
E-commerce product photography is all about creating images that sell the product and this is the challenging part. Instagram has made it extremely easy to click and share food photographs. But to take pictures that sell a product, you need to make it more appealing.
Check these ideas to instil a streak of creativity in your product images. Make sure everything has been checked – lights, colours, depth of field, style and mood when everything works together, they will make your food photography more appealing.
1. The Commercial Style Food Photography – Use food products that are easy to get and work on capturing them differently. One way to do that is by using the combination of anything that is used in the process of preparation of that food.
The food combined with the machines or tools that are used in its preparation creates a different image. Make sure that you remove all the visible brand names from both the products and the machine. In this way, your images can be widely used for commercial purposes.
2. Concept-based Images – Concept-based images are a bit difficult to think. You can arrange your food to present a distinct concept. Use your imagination and think about what concept you want to present by using the food product.
3. Focus on Food’s Characteristics – Use your food’s characteristics and focus on displaying the characteristic of your food in the image. If you’re able to capture the character of your food that would create rather a distinctive imagery. For example, pepper and chilli are considered hot. Try to illustrate that in your images.
4. Acrobatics with Food – A gravity-defying orientation of food will capture the audience’s attention and organize your food differently. You might need to use some support to organize the food in this manner that can be removed later from the final image after the edits. Use a white or black background to make the process of editing easier.
5. Capture a Splash – If you can ingrain some motion in your food image it will look different. A splash can be captured to add more dynamics in the image. Use fast shutter speed to freeze the splash.
6. Fun Images – Fun images can be created by the use of weird looking but interesting props. All you require in creating fun images is a bit of thought and looking for things differently then only you can make it happen in your product photography.
7. Fresh Images – Add the details in your image that emphasizes the food is freshly prepared and give a hint of its freshness.
8. Try a Different Approach – You can click images that depict something else like for an image of fresh juice instead of showing juice in a glass tries the image of fruit with a straw in it.
9. Focus on Simplicity – A simple minimalistic approach appears different and good. Focus on simplicity while capturing the image.
10. Slice it or Pile it Up – Stacking food to maximize its effectiveness is quite a common practice. There are two ways of doing it. One way is to slice a whole food product and show all its items separated and the other way is to pile it up. In both methods, this layering should be visible and emphasized to make it stand out.
Apart from using all these ideas, you can also use coloured food to make a difference in the food photographs that are otherwise dull in colours. A combination of coloured food can be used to create the desired effect.
Product photography pricing depends on the quality of the images required and varies based on the experience of the photographer. If you are considering hiring a professional to get those perfect food images to be used for commercial purposes hen consider hiring a professional that is equally apt in creating and implementing creative images and not afraid of thinking out of the box.